Welcome to Bishop's Hull Primary School
NEWS: A BULK TEXTING SERVICE IS NOW AVAILABLE - PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR CONTACT DETAILS ARE UP TO DATE
1. 'This is a good school' - Ofsted 2014. (See further comments below)
2. On 30th April 2014, following a morning visit from an external assessor, we became the first primary school in Somerset to receive this accreditation. This acknowledges all the school is doing to help all children stay safe on the internet. An award to be really proud of!
3. Home Learning ‘Surgeries’: 3.00-3.25pm every Monday and Wednesday respectively in the Blue Room (off the main playground) within the last week of every month. Pop in to chat to Mrs Norrey (Maths) or Mrs Perks (English) if you have any questions about helping your child with maths, reading or writing. Dates as follows: All dates for Maths and English in the autumn term are now complete. Surgeries will return in the summer term. NB You can always talk to your child’s class teacher between ‘surgery’ times.
4. To help you understand what your children have to do to achieve each National Curriculum level in writing and in maths (Y2 and Y6 only 2014-2015), we have linked some documents in the curriculum section. Please take a look!
5. We have now added details of the new National curriculum for English and for Maths - please look in the curriculum section.
6. Under Government guidelines I can only authorise a leave of absence for the following reasons (agreed within the Taunton Learning Partnership of schools - all schools across Taunton) :
- Emergency service / forces personnel with proof of enforced holiday period
- Significant employment restrictions e.g. Holiday industry employees with proof of this being the ONLY time period allowed by employer
- Significant family events or circumstances - these will be considered on an individual basis
- One transcontinental leave request per Key Stage for a very significant extended family event, including seeing any elderly/ seriously ill relative
Please note that under the new regulations holidays in term time are being strongly discouraged and you could be subject to a fixed penalty fine if you take your child out of school when leave is not authorised. All requests for leave of absence, in advance please, require the completion of the linked form.
7. In-year admission arrangements for new children - all requests need to come through the school. Please download and complete the linked request form and once completed either e-mail it to us or bring it into the school office.
8. Do you have a child due to start school in September 2015? Deadline for applications was 15th January 2015. A guide for parents' can be downloaded from www.somerset.gov.uk/admissions or contact Somerset Direct on (0845) 4564038.
9. If you are interested in being on our 'stand by' list of lunchtime supervisors or cleaners then please download the letter giving details of how to apply.
10. If you have any questions or queries, please make contact via our 'contact us' page and one of our office staff, Mrs Luxon or Mrs Dowds will pass this on to the relevant member of staff. Alternatively, give us a ring (01823331624), write (address on the 'contact us' page) or pop into the office in person.
From the Head Teacher:
"I would like to welcome you onto our school web-site. I hope the information it contains is helpful to you. My main aims for all children who join us at Bishop's Hull are as follows: that they feel happy and safe, that they feel good about themselves, that they have fun while they learn, that they are enthusiastic learners and that they are successful in whatever fields they discover to be their strengths.
Ofsted (April/May 2014) recognised that our school is, ' a good school' in all areas covered by the inspection and noted ten, exceptionally positive 'key findings', along with many other positive comments which can be found throughout the whole report. Inspectors spoke face-to-face with many parents on their visit and 100% confirmed that they were happy with all aspects of our school - a very unusual and very significant statistic! Please read and be encouraged by, the hugely positive and affirming Ofsted report.
Fundamental to our school philosophy is the belief that learning is a life long process which is an active partnership between students, parents, staff, governors, pre-school, nurseries, secondary schools and the local community. I believe Bishop's Hull Primary School to be a fun place to learn and I would be delighted to show you around our very successful school." - Ralph Bullock
From our House Captains: "Welcome to our school website, we are the House Captains from our four Houses – Blackdown, Brendon, Mendip and Quantock. We would like to tell you why we think our school is fantastic. The children at our school are very friendly and offer help to anyone if they are feeling upset. Children make good friends quickly and enjoy learning together in the classroom, when we are out and about on the school grounds or when we are on trips. We have fun in all subjects! The teachers are nice and friendly, just like the children and they give us lots of fun activities to do. We especially like it when we are mixed up and we work with children of different ages in our Houses or in our Key Stages. The facilities the school has are really good and we have lots of areas to play in at playtime. Different people come into school to entertain us – story tellers, theatre companies, scientists, wildlife experts etc. There are also coaches who help us to learn different sports. Do look at what our School Forum has been up to. By the way, we decided on this name rather than calling it a School Council because we wanted to be a little different! We hope you like our website and it would be great to meet you if you came to look around."
Information regarding closure due to extreme weather conditions - updated January 2015
Please contact us via the 'Contact Us' page. NB Office staff will pass on queries to the relevant member of staff for action. They will then get back to you as soon as possible.